Saturday 11 September 2010

Love or Hate?


Who likes Contemporary Art? If you do, why?

I found myself asking this question during a trip to the Saatchi Gallery the other weekend. I must admit, I could walk past some of the pieces with little or no interest in them, wondering what the hell the curator was thinking when deciding what to include in the exhibition.

I find it a love or hate relationship. If the piece does not affect me in any way, then I think it to be pointless and in most cases, over hyped. But when the piece affects me in ways I least expected, then I find myself loving the piece and wanting to tell everyone about it. Littlewhitehead's It happened in the Corner (second from top) stirred a mixture of feelings. Making the viewer curious to find out what everyone is looking at in the corner and why, but at the same time creating a great sense of unease and nervousness as to the reason for the crowd and a reluctance to pursue your curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment