Saturday 11 September 2010

Another Blog - Continued

The design blog and its purpose is something which I have questioned before in recent posts. They range from those which are updated a number of times on a daily basis, usually offering a limited commentary on the work like Form Fifty Five or It's Nice That. To the design blogs which posts lengthy essays on a less regular basis than the previous examples, such as Design Observer. Both kinds of blogs are good in their own right and have people reading them for different reasons.

Interestingly, on a recent post on Form Fifty Five, its purpose is questioned and the question is asked whether they should provide a 'more shared thought' on the designers and their work. Here's an extract from the post:

One thing that does seem a little negative about all these sites is that there is very limited information on the work found or shared thought.
This is something the FFF Team have been talking about for a while now. Should we spend more time writing in more detail about single projects, rather than just linking a designer with the obligatory ‘Mr. X has updated his portfolio’. In the next couple of months we’re going to restructure FFF’s design and team and see where we can take where we can take things in the future.

Also, read the second to last comment for an interesting view on the subject:

Glenn, I use this website as a quick and easy browse to see what is going on. I tend to read a bit of the blurb that the editors write but mostly click straight on the link and view for myself. I do not come here for a lengthy read merely to look at the pictures and click on the links.
Also, the speed and number of quality posts that FFF feature is what is key for me. Nearly every day that I come back there is something new to look at. I know you all have jobs outside of FFF and therefore if you had to post a lengthy indepth essay a lot of the time then a majority of the editors would be put of (I assume).
This website (FFF) is targeted to, IMO, the design community therefore a lunch hour is all we have really, considering the rest of the day is consumed by a multitude of guff. If I wanted to more indepth look and education I would pick up a book, and if I wanted to read specifically online I would go to other blogs (Design Observer, Thought of the day, etc…).
If it ain’t broke…

No comments:

Post a Comment