Tuesday 14 September 2010

Internet Art


If I were to buy a piece of art, it would be to have on display in my home. I would buy it because it would be a physical thing which would add character to the room. The point of displaying it in my home would be that I would see it everyday and I would enjoy looking at it.

So what happens when the art you buy isn't a physical piece of art that you can't touch?

Rafael Rozendaal makes interactive art through the form of a website. So if you want to purchase his work, you purchase the domain name. As well as the domain name, you get a certificate, which is also a contract stating that the website must remain open for the public. It's a great way to own the piece and to share it with the rest of the world. But why pay to own it when every time you want to see it, its free? Although you do get 'collection of...' in the title bar of the website which is a nice touch.

I think it's a great idea and an interesting way to bring art to the masses, but the idea of paying for it when it's free seems strange to me. I must admit though, I think his work is amazing. I could spend hours playing with the websites. And yes, I did unravel the whole toilet role.


www.newrafael.com

No comments:

Post a Comment